You’re on a roll with incremental improvements. So it makes sense that you’d look for ways to automate household chores as this can increase efficiency.
The futuristic series, The Jetson’s a cartoon about George Jetson and his quirky little family was, first produced by Hanna-Barbera in 1962. The series was set in the year 2062. The cartoon producers predicted advanced technology, some of which has since been invented, including video chat and smart homes.
While we haven’t invented personal flying cars or pods that drop our children off at school, there have been certain advancements in technology that improve the functionality of the modern home. George Jetson stood on a conveyor belt while robots got him ready for work. In the Jetson’s life, everything was automated.
What can we automate and what does that mean?
au·to·mate | \ ˈȯ-tə-ˌmāt \
Definition of the word automate according to Mirriam Webster:
1: to operate by automation
2: to convert to largely automatic operation or automate a process
Get more done in less time with household automation
Whether you realize it or not, you probably already automate some household chores that your great grandmother had to put many hours of hard labor into. Clean clothes and clean dishes are two things you might take for granted that she spent hours on.
Gadgets that will help get chores done are more affordable than they were a decade ago. It is likely most homeowners have several types of cleaning robots.
Using Robots for Home Automation
Household tasks can be automated if you enjoy technology and can afford the latest gadgets. Obviously, most of us won’t be heading out to shop for all of this technology in one shopping trip. With careful planning, watching for sales, and creative wish lists you could start automating these household chores.
Start with the items that you feel take up most of your time or are the biggest drain on your time, energy or resources.
Here are a few suggestions to get you started.
- Smart home devices like Alexa allows you to use your voice to turn on lights, adjust thermostats, and lock doors with compatible devices. In addition, you can call almost anyone hands-free over wi-fi. Instantly drop in on other rooms or announce to the whole house that dinner’s ready. Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, and more. Plus listen to radio stations, podcasts, and Audible audiobooks.
- Smart thermostats like ecobee will keep important rooms comfortable by adjusting your thermostat based on occupancy and temperature. With Alexa Built-in and an intuitive mobile app, you can control your thermostat and home using a device.
- Vacuuming – Get the carpet clean while you’re enjoying a walk around the neighborhood by using a robot vacuum cleaner. These will clean the carpet as well as hardwood floors and don’t worry if you have stairs, they have lasers and can detect a change in surface. The Neatbot robotic vacuum has a self-emptying dustbin, and the iRobot Roomba s9 is perfect for pet hair and also empties itself so you don’t have to!
- Mopping – If you have carpet free floors, or a mixture of both carpet and hardwood you will appreciate the ability to automate your floor cleaning with a robot that will vacuum, mop, and even connect to your Alexa.
- Eliminate odors and messy trashcans with a self-sealing and self-changing, automatic open lid, and motion-sensing activated electric trashcan.
- Make life easier by not having to switch the clothes back and forth with LG’s front load washer dryer combo. A programmable washing machine that will wash and dry your clothes in one go-round. Get your laundry folded with precision using a t-shirt folding board. (It’s faster too!)
- For clothes that need ironing, this digital steam press will do the trick. Although many people prefer dry cleaning over home pressed shirts and suits.
- Eliminate allergens, viruses, bacteria and mold spores with Enviroklenz Air Purifier with UV Bulbs.
- Mowing no longer has to take up half of your afternoon. Get this task done while you spend time with your kids, by using a robot lawnmower. Use the Rachio smart sprinkler to water your lawn and keep your grass green.
Automate the Cooking Process
First, I use and highly recommend saving recipes you find online into a family app like Cozi. Say goodbye to chaos with this family-oriented app that syncs across all devices of everyone in the family.
Here’s how to save recipes and make grocery lists with just a few clicks of your mouse. Next, use a grocery delivery service like Shipt to have your ingredients brought straight to your door.
Another way to automate your cooking process would be to use a subscription service like SunBasket. The ingredients are pre-measured for less hassle and less food waste, then delivered weekly to your door in recyclable and compostable packaging! Use the mobile app to choose meals and follow instructions to prepare when you’re ready to eat.
Put your household chores on auto-pilot
Now that you’ve downloaded the Cozi app, you did download it right? You can take advantage of Clean Mama Perks! You’ll have all the housekeeping power of Clean Mama combined with my favorite easy-to-use organizing app, Cozi!
Clean Mama Daily and Weekly Tasks can be added automatically right on your Cozi calendar. Best of all, reminders are automatically sent for each task so you can stay on top of the tasks you do need to do to keep your home clean.
Setting up routines to help you automate your household chores will save you time. An efficient cleaning schedule will rotate areas and tasks so that everything in the home gets cleaned as needed.
Start thinking of other ways you can automate household chores so you can spend more time playing with your kids or working on the things you love.